Dear recruiter, yes, I am “actively looking”, immediately available, and I’m glad to hear from you. I appreciate your clients expect you to answer exceptional and sometimes contradictory demands. I really want us to make the most of our contact and give your client the best match for his money.
So may I suggest you…
Choose your first-contact channel wisely
We have all these wonderful channels at our disposal. Why not choose what’s best?
- The fastest way to get in touch with me is via sms. Please use sms only if your client needs me within 48 hours.
- The second fastest, and most civilised way to get in touch is via email, please use it. In order to be fast, do not waste your first message being vague. I mean business: show me you do too and send the job description over already, will you?
- Cold-calling is welcome only if your first words can be “sign here, please” and unwelcome at almost any other time.
- I’ll be probably doing something else or being with a client when you call, so I won’t answer.
- Even if I do answer, I will have no details on who you are or what you want, what can you expect out of the call? A second call, at the most, where we can finally enter into some detail.
- So unless you have an offer I can’t refuse, please do not cold call.
- Tweeting is cool. Very, very cool. You’re a dude, man. But who ever told you this channel is ok for this kind of message? Do you think I am a Pizza Hut? What are you, 15? I’ll probably see your DM in a week or so, when I log in.
Dear recruiter, help me help you.
Looking forward to
hearing from you.